CQ offers a range of courses in its EQR course series . We encourage you to review the graduate curriculum to determine which courses are best suited to you and the preferred sequence in which courses should be taken.
While most of these courses are open to all University of Toronto students, we reserve space for students in CQ’s sponsoring and partnering departments and faculties – The Dalla Lana School of Public Health, the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, the Factor Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, the Rehabilitation Sciences Institute, and the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education – and accept non partnering students where space remains.
CQ does not enrol students on ACORN; you must contact the individual instructor (see courses and instructor list) to express interest and seek registration in his/her course. In order for the instructor to determine whether there is a good fit between your interests and experience and the course content, please include the answers to the below questions in your email to provide information about your qualitative research training.
- What department and graduate program are you in?
- Why do you want/need to study QR?
- What is your experience with qualitative research and your familiarity with social theory?
- Have you taken any of the courses in CQ’s Essentials in Qualitative Research series?
- Have you taken any other qualitative theory or methodology courses? If so, please specify.
- What is your thesis/dissertation about? Who is your supervisor? (If you are a master’s student in a professional program (no required thesis), please inform the instructor)
- What methodology will you use/are you using in your research? If you are using qualitative methods, is it solely qualitative methods or mixed methods?
- What stage of research are you at? For instance: proposal, data gathering, data analysis, writing up.
If the course you wish to take is not offered in your home department, you must contact the course instructor for permission to enrol. Then, print the Add/Drop Course(s) Form and have it signed by: you, the course instructor, the chair or graduate coordinator of the department in which the course is being offered, your supervisor (if applicable), and the chair or graduate coordinator of your home department. Finally, submit this form to your graduate unit for SGS approval.
Courses in the Essentials of Qualitative Research series are only available to University of Toronto students, students from other universities with SGS approval to enrol in courses, or those who register as a Special Student. Doctoral students from other Ontario universities can enrol in three courses to take the certificate, if their home Departments/Faculties allow them to take up to three courses at another Ontario university through OVGS. If this is not the case, they have to be prepared to cover SGS costs for non-degree student at UofT (approximately $2,700.00 per course in the 2020 winter term). Please contact SGS directly with questions about registration and enrolment.