The Centre for Critical Qualitative Health Research, its fellows and contributing partner departments can provide opportunities for postdoctoral and other academic scholars to visit or pursue projects related to qualitative research, particularly those related broadly to research methodology and the teaching of methodology.
CQ’s academic visitors include post-doctoral fellows, scholars, researchers and educators who come to the Centre for varying amounts of time (regular multi-year post-doctoral programs or short visits to enhance professional development or to explore methodology teaching options or particular research issues for their own institutions).
If you are considering applying for a visit to CQ, please consider the following:
- CQ is not able to provide financial support for such visits, but we can help applicants to find suitable supervisors/mentors and to secure their own support. In order for your request to be considered, you must secure your own funding and provide CQ with the relevant documentation or details.
- CQ normally can provide work space and other modest support to its fellows and visitors.
- CQ is a specialized centre for advanced qualitative research and thus visiting scholars would be expected to have practiced qualitative research prior to their visit and to have a solid understanding of qualitative research and methodology.
- Applicants best positioned for visiting CQ would be those who have interests in research methodology, or in educational issues related to the teaching of qualitative research, particularly in the health sciences. Thus, a focus only on one’s substantive research topic would not be suitable.
CQ accepts a maximum of 2 visitors per term (Fall, Winter, Spring/Summer) due to space and administrative restrictions. Visitor must apply a minimum of 6 months ahead to allow time for review, as well as administrative and/or immigration processes.
If you are interested in visiting CQ, please send the following information to email@example.com:
- A brief description of your experience doing critical qualitative health research
- A paragraph explaining your goals, objectives of a visit with CQ
- Expected dates/timeline of visit
- Source of funding, including the amount you have or are applying for
- A sample of your qualitative research, written by you and in English (e.g. publication, thesis chapter)
- Current academic CV
- Suggestions for which of CQ’s Fellows you might be interested in being associated with during your visit.
Those considering formal postdoctoral appointment with CQ might also visit the School of Graduate Studies’ (University of Toronto) policies and procedures for Postdoctoral Fellowships, which apply to CQ visitors. Here you will find information about minimum funding requirements, application process, and specific information for International scholars.